Sunday, August 5, 2007

distinction between eyecandy & informative

Googling video installation aesthetics gets you to places like: http://infosthetics.com/. I'm interested, sure - just like with the hard core at generator x. But I wonder about all that input. I have a vast amount of unformed notions about where I, personally, would draw the line about creating visualisations - no matter how pretty (& yes I really do like, value & defend 'pretty'), how clever etc.

Fining down this problem, I think it ends up being that I still have some kind of belief in there being a material/energy that is what animates the artwork. Of course the current model of this is information: a dataset. That's the focus of those websites - informatics. I am not a believer in informatics in such isolation.

Of course, all this would make more sense if I got more than 2 uninterrupted minutes at a time to write. Beware of instant content.

A

No comments: